Tonight's the night!
After almost a year of community meetings, committee meetings, planning commission review, and more community meetings, the 402 homes of the MacArthur Mammoth are being brought before the full Oakland City Council tonight for a final vote.
Tonight, the Oakland City Council decides whether or not we'll allow the big, beautiful mammoth and its 402 homes to sit next to the MacArthur BART station.
The full City Council can, at times, be a vastly different experience than a subcommittee or even the planning commission. Tonight's agenda starts officially at 5:30 PM but I am estimating the Mammoth to be called for public comment around 8:00 PM. Thats super late, and not everyone (especially those with kids to put to bed) might be able to come!
Regardless if you can come or not, there are some things you can still do today to support the Mammoth:
Write a letter of support to the full city council
- At-Large: Rebecca Kaplan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 1: Dan Kalb, email@example.com
- District 2: Abel Guillén, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 3: Lynette Gibson McElhaney, email@example.com
- District 4: Annie Campbell Washington, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 5: Noel Gallo, email@example.com
- District 6: Desley Brooks, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 7: Larry Reid, email@example.com
Be sure to CC the Mammoth's city planner, Catherine Payne (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Call your councilor's office
- At-Large: Rebecca Kaplan, (510) 238-7008
- District 1: Dan Kalb, (510) 238-7014
- District 2: Abel Guillén, (510) 238-7002
- District 3: Lynette Gibson McElhaney, (510) 238-7245
- District 4: Annie Campbell Washington, (510) 238-7273
- District 5: Noel Gallo, (510) 238-7005
- District 6: Desley Brooks, (510) 238-7006
- District 7: Larry Reid, 510 238-7007
Tonight in City Council Chambers, 3rd Floor of City Hall, around 8:00 PM. If you're coming, check in with Victoria Fierce by texting to 440-858-3382. She will add you to the list and let you know when the exact time to speak will be happening if it moves.